I love Christmas! I always have enjoyed Christmas and decorating my whole house after Thanksgiving. Having two young children though I’m trying to keep all of the Christmas decorations to things they can easily play with and enjoy.
- Melissa and Doug count down to Christmas I have had this since Princess was little. It is so simple and I love it.
- Hot wheels advent calendar I am not a fan of the chocolate advent calendars. So I try to find one that relates to what the kids like. This is Bubba’s this year. Princess has a Lego one (she gets one of those every year). Bubba got a little people one last year. There are so many cool ones out there.
- Felt Christmas tree I know you can make these your self. However I don’t have time for that. I also got the boys a felt snow man.
- Christmas window clings We decorate with window clings for every season. Bubba puts them up and then moves them around where ever he wants.
- Little People Nativity Bubba loves this. It wouldn’t be Christmas without a nativity and here is one that I don’t mind the kids touching and playing with.
- Christmas Train Set This year I decided that every little boy needs a train to go around their Christmas tree.
- Christmas boxes What do kids love more than playing in boxes? Absolutely nothing. And now I have something to put next to my door.
- Christmas light projector As a single mom I don’t have time to hang lights. This makes my house look pretty and it only takes a couple minutes to put together.
- Live tree for outside I can’t have a live tree inside the house because of my allergies. So the kids and I got one outside and burlap ornaments to decorate. It’s nice to have something that smells like Christmas but isn’t making a mess in my house.
- Step2 My First Christmas Tree I don’t have this because they are sold out. But I want this for this boys. Maybe next year.
We are big readers in my house. We read between 2-3 books a night. The boys have three bookshelves in their room. We bring out books from the basement for each holiday. Here are our 10 favorite Christmas books
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas This is a classic. I love this book (and movie) and so do my kids.
- The First Christmas Tree: A Legend from Long Ago My grandma bought this for my sister and I when we were little. It is an adorable story and I love sharing it with my children.
- Ten Tiny Gingerbread Men Even during Christmas time we need to work on our counting. It is an adorable little book as well.
- S Is for Santa: A Christmas Alphabet We have to work on our alphabet as well!!!
- Little Reindeer Saves Christmas: A festive story to share My kids love this adorable story and I love the message: believe in yourself and anything can happen
- Christmas Star (Night Light Books) A cute little story about a Christmas pageant that tells the Christmas story. The light up star is a bonus
- The Not Very Merry Pout-Pout Fish Pout Pout fish is very popular in our house so this book is always a hit. It has a good message about the best gifts coming from the heart
- Don’t Push the Button! A Christmas Adventure Don’t push the button is a nightly read in our house. This year we bought this book, I can’t wait to read it.
- Christmas Songs: Interactive Children’s Sound Book (10 Button Sound) we have a lot of these books and they are always a favorite. This year we decided to try this one as well.
- Disney Baby My First Christmas (Disney Touch and Feel) Baby Z gets a touch and feel book for every season. We really like this one because it’s our favorite Disney characters.
These are traditions that I love and that i want to share with my children.
- Making gingerbread houses on Thanksgiving. I’m not sure when this tradition started but we love it. It is kind of a competition to see how weird our house me can be.
- Making my Grandmas recipe for apple, pumpkin, and cherry pie. Pumpkin is my favorite though
- Cutting down our own Christmas tree. Though I can’t have a live tree because of my allergies, we still help my parents cut their tree down every year.
- Breakfast with Santa. This is an awesome tradition. The kids love seeing Santa, there is no line since we are called up by table, and I get to eat pancakes I didn’t make.
- Sending out Christmas cards. This one was a hard one for me when Princess was little. We always sent out Christmas cards and I wanted to include her even though she wasn’t officially part of the family. These days I just take pictures of me and all the kids and we send out cards to friends and family. Even if the kids won’t be living in my home next year they live with me now.
- Going to Zoo lights. We haven’t done this since I was little. We are going to start this up again since I’m a member of the zoo now.
- Going to Mass at the Old Church. It is this beautiful chapel where I work. My grandma loved it and I always feel like she is there with me when we are there.
- Going to look at Christmas lights. After mass we alway drive around to look at Christmas lights. My dad always finds some to surprise us.
- Getting pajamas for Christmas Eve. This is a tradition I love. I started having the kids and I have matching pajamas, it is a lot of fun.
- Eating French toast for breakfast Christmas morning. I love this tradition. However, my parents always made us eat before we could open presents and I do it backwards.
Going with the theme from last week here are some of my favorite Authors of Children’s chapter books.
- Jeffrey Brown is a cartoonist. He wrote the Jedi Academy series. He also wrote the amazingly funny books Darth Vader and Son and Vader’s little princess.
- Dav Pilkey is best known for the Captain Underpants series. However he just came out with the Dogman series which is just as funny.
- James Patterson’s middle school series is great. I just read I funny but I have students who read all the books and loved them.
- Stephen Pastis is another cartoonist. He writes a series called Timmy Failure about a detective who makes a lot of mistakes.
- Aaron Blabey is a picture book author (check out the Pig the Pug books. However he just came out with the series the Bad Guys and I love it.
- Raina Telgemeier is another author of graphic novels. She wrote smile, sisters, and adapted the babysitters club series to graphic novels.
- Rachel Renee Russell is the author of the dork diaries. One of my students all time favorites.
- James Burks is the author of Bird and Squirrel and the Haggis and Tank unleashed series. His books are high interest low level books and my struggling readers love them.
- Brian Selznick is an amazing illustrator. He also wrote the books wonderstruck and the Invention is Hugo Cabret.
- Tom Watson is the author of Stick dog and Stick Cat which are funny and entertaining.
2 Bonus Series:
DC Universe Rebirth A modern version of DC comics. Comics aren’t my thing but my 7th grade students convinced me to read one and they are pretty good.
Graphic Warfare These books are awesome because they teach about wars in such a fun way.
Bubba and I love to read before bed (Baby Z enjoys it for a couple minutes before he falls asleep.) It’s our favorite part of the night. Here our some of our favorite picture books for babies and toddlers.
- Pout Pout Fish This is a great series of books teaching kids to be positive.
- Don’t push the Button This is a hilarious interactive books that makes kids giggle. (Spoiler: they get to press the button and funny things happen)
- Giraffes can’t dance An adorable board book about a giraffe who wants to dance
- Where the wild things are Bubba loves this book. (Random tidbit: while becoming a foster parent I almost decorated my nursery in this theme)
- The very hungry catapillar An oldy but a goody
- Brown Bear Brown Bear Another classic. Bubba loves to read this book to me. He has the whole thing memorized.
- Bed time math This is an awesome series and I love how they have different levels so you can read it with different age kiddos at the same time.
- The rainbow fish What a great way to reach sharing and it has beautiful pictures.
- Hello Airplane Beautiful pictures and a simple story perfect for bedtime. Bubba loves this one since he loves airplanes.
- Good night, Cubs A favorite in our house for obvious reasons.